Take The Heat (anthology)

Take the Heat: A Criminal Romance Anthology - Skye Warren, Pam Godwin, Shoshanna Evers, Giselle Renarde, Tamsin Flowers, Elizabeth Coldwell, Cynthia Rayne, Trent Evans, Audrey Lusk, Sheri Savill

I’ve read Skye Warren’s novella “The Magnolia Hotel” and have to say quite disappointed. It’s barely 19 pages so there’s nothing much to talk about.

Grace, a budding artist, goes to free her good-for-nothing big brother from the local gang and ends up finding a part of her past that she thought she had long buried. The first man she had ever loved, secretly, had to be the one to whom her brother owns a huge sum! Grace is then faced with a new (and tempting) challenge from Liam. She knows it’s not right, yet she can’t deny the pull between them no matter what. Question is, will she give in or walk away?

Honestly, this just read like an excerpt. I did think the story was pretty good (or was getting to the good part) when it ends abruptly. I’d really love to see this expanded to something longer. 3 stars.

FYI: Since I haven’t read the other stories, the rating is based on “The Magnolia Hotel”. I’ll check out the other authors gradually. Rating may change after that!